Monday, September 10, 2012

The Mean Wives Club



I don't consider myself a member of this club. I'm sure I share some characteristics of its membership, but I don't believe that I have enough of the symptoms to be considered a mean wife. If you suspect that you may have many or all of these symptoms, evaluate your behavior and if you are an offender in these things, please make the changes necessary to revoke your membership in this club. 

1. In your mind, your husband can't do anything as well as you can. Typically, this manifests itself when a husband tries to step in and take on a task or chore that you typically perform. Maybe it's the dishes, or driving, or cooking, or building a bookshelf, or writing a paper, or mowing the lawn, or washing the laundry. Whatever it is, you are critical about the way he does it and, without being asked for your advice, tell him how to do it. Instead, you should be grateful that your husband loves you enough to share your workload. Let him do things his way. You will survive if the dishes are washed with lukewarm water and an old scrub brush. And you will likely have a happier life because you will have a husband that feels appreciated. Men are not dumb. They may do things differently than you, but they are still very smart and very capable.

2. You criticize him in any circumstance you feel necessary. You will be rude or condescending to him in front of his friends, co-workers, and family. Your husband may tolerate this for awhile, but one day all of the bottled up embarrassment and humiliation will explode and you in your selfishness will wonder why your husband is so angry and different all of a sudden. You will have yourself to thank for that behavior.

3. Many of you use Facebook as an outlet to tell all of us, your friends and family, how much you love your husbands. But since your actions speak louder than your Facebook statuses, when we read your status, we all roll our eyes and say to ourselves, "If it was only true that she actually loved and appreciated her husband." But we know you don't, so we keep scrolling and eventually one day, we even hide you from our news feed because we can't stand reading the constant hypocrisy.

There are more than just these three points, but I don't want to make my posts so long that people won't read them. So maybe I'll do a Mean Wives Club Part 2 somewhere down the line. Or maybe more of the people I know will start being nicer to their sweet husbands and I'll forget that I ever knew anyone in this club.

3 comments:

  1. Girl I'm working on a post that talks about this issue! I totally agree. We can be vicious without even trying, and it totally demeans the men that are really trying to be great husbands and role models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! It breaks my heart when husbands are criticized whenever they try and help. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great perspective and great reminders to make sure our actions match how we want our husbands to feel. I am looking forward to segment 2! I am excited for your blog!

    ReplyDelete